Friday, January 14, 2011

Women Power

I came across this beautiful article in the online version of the Denver Post titled: 'Captured: America in Color from 1939-1943' featuring the most beautiful pictures. But what really caught my eye were pictures of working women, especially those who worked in factories or on the railroad and then it hit me that these pictures were taken throughout World War 2.

Photobucket
Photobucket

As a jew and and Israeli, I often learned and stumbled upon one issue or another that has something to do with the Holocaust but then again, I've seen countless movies or TV programs about what was going on in England or in the United States during the war that had nothing to do with the horrible concentration camps but about how "normal" life was like during those hard times. There's even a silly kind-of-old movie called "A League of Their Own" with Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and Madonna that talks about the all american girls baseball teams (because the men went to war) and I loved that movie because as feminine as I'd like to be, I also enoy thinking I could do and wear whatever I want whether it's manly or girly.

Photobucket
Photobucket

The women in these pictures are awesome in my eyes because they are supposdly doing manly jobs but they are wearing jewelry, nail-polish, colorful head-scarfs and pretty floral prints. It's that balance that I like, the one between who you are and what you do. I think that's something I should think about more in my daily life.

1 comment:

  1. A League Of Their Own is absolutely one of my favorite movies from growing up.

    I agree, these photos are absolutely fantastic. Super intriguing to imagine their lives.

    ReplyDelete