Monday, December 6, 2010

My Dad is Awesome

I've written about my dad's awesomeness before and I thought it was time to do it again. My dad has always been very good with his hands - he can knit and braid your hair but primarily he's very good in fixing and building things.

Photobucket

My mother (as you must know if you've read more than 2 or 3 posts) has a very successful second-hand shop. As a part of this, my parents often get invited to empty-out apartments or homes and take vintage housewares and small furniture for my mothers shop. Even though it's nothing new, lately my dad has been taking on more and more renovating projects. He takes battered and broken pieces of furniture (small tables, chairs, stools, cabinets and the such..) and gives them life (again).

Photobucket
Photobucket

It's hard for me to explain my dad's nature, and I don't know if I should really write about it in length, but he's very meticulous and he LOVES doing this. He takes his time and gives each item the proper care it needs. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.
His recent project were twin stools that he got to reupholster in lovely vintage fabric because the previous fabric was nearly crumbling. I managed to catch him in the act and you will be able to see the final result as well.

Photobucket

Lovely aren't they?

Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous! I love the contrast of that romantic floral fabric with the modernist shape of the stools. It's funny--in both mine and Andy's families, our mother, not our father, was the handy one. And neither Andy nor I are at all handy by nature, though Andy is MUCH better than me. All this to say: I am in awe of people who are good at fixing things and working with their hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely chairs, you're dad did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are SO lovely, as is this sweet post about your dad :)

    ReplyDelete