Saturday, February 6, 2010

Being a Foreign Seller on Etsy or How to Make the Most of Your Shop

This blog obviously has Etsy in mind. I own and Etsy shop and visit other bloggers who own Etsy shops, I have (or so I hope) Etsy buyers or Sellers visiting this blog. Today I posted a thread on Etsy forums which is very very important to me, so I thought I'd share some of it here:

"When I was a wee toddler my parents relocated us to Texas, USA. Little did I know that this temporary move (about 4 years) would change me completely. To this day – my English is better than my Hebrew, I even still have an American accent.
So when I planned on opening my own vintage shop here in Etsy, I thought it would go smoothly since my English is very good. Behold my surprise when I held up one of my items and couldn’t, for the life of me, think of a way to describe it in English.
You see, I know how to get around in English, I can lead a soul-searching conversation with any native English speaker if I wanted – what I lacked (and still do) is technicality.
Those allusive descriptive adjectives were never a major part of my English because I never needed them PROFESSIONALLY.

I wasn’t going to let my English deficiencies stop me from having a successful shop – there are so many (amazing!) vintage shops here in Etsy (just as any other category has a chunk load of it’s kind) and I don’t want to give my potential buyers any reason to go elsewhere.

I’m writing this because I know there is a growing community of international sellers that probably struggle with the same issues as me. I also think this post is just as relevant to US sellers.

What I’m doing and what YOU could do to make your shop better:..."

If this interests you and you want to read the rest, you can find it HERE. Feedback would be much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. What has helped me in describing a lot of my vintage things especially the clothing is by looking through and buying fashion design books for
    students or for the laymen person.

    Things like dolman sleeves, princess seams, a-line skirts, collar types etc. Also a design book on eras like Modern, Contemporary, retro, Edwardian etc.

    Have a good trip!

    Sheena

    ReplyDelete
  2. English is my first (well..only) language and I still found those tips helpful! I'd definitely agree with looking in sewing/fashion books for specific descriptions too.

    Great advice!

    ReplyDelete